The levelling arc
I’m feeling a little all over the place in WoW at the moment. I’m officially at “end game” I think but what does that really mean? You know when X Files used to have monster of the week episodes and then other more absorbing (in my opinion) arc episodes involving Mulder’s sister, black oil and a man smoking some cigarettes. Well that’s what it’s like. I’m on a constant treadmill of monster of the week stories but the cohesive absorbing nature of the arc- the levelling arc- has gone now that I’m 85.
I miss the excitement of it all – the goals, the discoveries, the newness. I’m aware I sound like a bored partner at a counselling session but at least I’m not sniping about toilet seat transgressions. What can I do to get the thrill back? It’s the 7 day itch here – 7 days since hitting 85 (totally not – much longer- but I’m going with the 7 year itch theme regardless).
Help me. Please. Below is my daily WoW routine. How can I insert some magic into it to stop me waltzing off and having a thing on the side with the Sims?
1. Log on & drag my sorry ass over to Rokk for my day’s work. Grit my teeth as I make him yet another bowl of spiritual soup and blindly hit my keys looking for the “kill Rokk” button I know is hidden there somewhere when he once again fails to give me the chocolate cake recipe.
2. Portal over to Dalaran in the hope that Katherine Lee will give me something instead – certainly something more than bloody spices (Columbus could only dream of having the spices I now have). But no of course not. She never does. Nevertheless I run around Dalaran collecting half full glasses of wine for her without even a minimum wage as consolation. She & Rokk ring each other up & laugh heartily over it all and wonder how long they can keep it up.
3. Hearthstone to Hyjal and fly to Sanctuary of Malorne for my Mark of the World Tree dailies. Start with the Sethia’s Roost bit and hope as usual I can find enough Behemoths to kill so I don’t have to fight the Pyrelords who always seem harder (annoying bloody Seethers making me have to turn around to kill them). Finally destroy the 6 I need taking more damage than I would have thought possible at my level with such “able” assistants & go back for my measly marks.
4. Do the other dailies both sides of the portal. Enjoy in a way that will take several sessions with my therapist to work through the mindless act of kicking tortoises into the water & moan when I’ve got to fly “all that way” to the shrine of Aesinna to rescue some bears and then remember how much running I had to do before I got my mount at 40 and cluck about how easy the kids have it these days. At Molten Front I heal some victims while creating lots of my own by killing charred combatants and muse philosophically about how futile it all is while eating a chocolate.
5.Queue for a HC on my own or with guild – clenching my little hands together to pray that it’s not End Time (I hate that globe thingy at the end because when I’m asked to do it I get really nervous and flustered that I’ll do it at the wrong time). Cheer when I get Well of Eternity which is now my favourite and allows me to claim that Tyrande and Illidan are my BFFs forever.
6. Open my bag and look at the gold I don’t have. Browse the AH to see what certain cloth items are going for. Look at my tailoring recipes to see if I can make anything that will make me a millionaire. Work out that everything costs too much to make so resignedly sell off all my Embersilk cloth with a bitterness that only a skilled tailor who once dreamed of making her fortune with cloth can feel.
7. Think about fishing for a rat in Dalaran. Read up on how to do it, realise it sounds like a rather long and boring process (plus won’t the rat have drowned?) so decide that there have to be better things to do with my time like…
8. … go and find some critters to love …
9. …and then stop when they start reminding me of the restraining orders they’ve issued.
10. And finally end up in Stormwind Old Town haggling with the valor gear seller because I’ve not got enough points to buy anything good and in any case what I really want I can only get with tokens from raids I’m not confident enough to go in and then slumping to the floor as the futility of it all overwhelms me.
This is my life now. And it’s driving me a little bit more insane each day. What can I do? I have levelled all my skills except Archaeology & the only thing that can do is fast track me to full blown madness (10 steps for green, 20 steps for yellow, count the steps, gibber gibber, give me my precious sparklies etc. – I’ve seen it in action with my husband). I’ve ventured a little into Tol Barad and quite enjoyed that but not sure my blood pressure can take it (nor the neighbours judging by the way I screamed in joy yesterday when I killed my arch nemesis horde Thom – arch nemesis since Sunday when he killed me several times in Tol Barad and laughed at me a lot).
But there is something out there for me. I feel it. Something elusive I can’t quite put my finger on – something that if I find it will transform it all for me and give me the arc that I and Seashell both need- an arc of meaning. But where can I find it?